1. To define terminology that is peculiar to E/E/PES and high reliability.
2. Establish criteria for and means of assessing reliability and availability in practical applications.
3. Provide general specification guidelines that facilitate understanding.
4. Provide guidelines for process safety applications requiring high reliability.
5. Develop guidelines for specific hardware/software configurations that can meet varying levels of reliability/availability.
6. This work does not apply to nuclear power safety-related systems.